Saturday, October 20, 2007

Disability Awareness Night at the Hockomock YMCA

Last night I had a chance to interact with children and families at the YMCA in North Attleboro as a guest at Disability Awareness Night.

I told the children a little bit about myself and my experiences using a wheelchair, including my role as Ms Wheelchair Massachusetts 2007. They asked lots of questions, such as how I got my wheelchair to move. I showed them my joystick control and my horn and they got to come up close and check out my chair. To help raise awareness about people who are disabled, I spoke about the similarities and differences that we all have as people, emphasizing the ways that we are all alike. I asked the children to draw a picture of an activity they enjoy doing, then I explained ways that people in wheelchairs could do the same thing. One little boy drew a picture of himself golfing, one of his favorite sports. I told him that a friend of mine who is in a wheelchair loves to golf - he has a golf cart that stands him up so he can putt just like everyone else! The children also had a chance to read and write in Braille with another guest speaker, Tim Vernon, who has been blind since birth. They had a great time learning a new "language!" This was a wonderful event for everyone - thanks to the YMCA and the families who support their programs!!!